Harlem Roscoe Fire Captain Ryan Alms is packing up the truck with equipment that can test carbon
“Carbon monoxide is a colorless, tasteless, odorless gas that's caused by incomplete burning, different fuels, wood, charcoal,” said Alms.
The Fire Protection District has a program that gets first responders out in the community. They can educate the public about CO, while giving residents peace of mind at the same time.
A simple check of the furnace is a good place to start. Tuesday afternoon, an elderly couple in downstate
was discovered dead in their home by family members.
Julian Hoben, a neighbor watched from across the street.
They came back outside and the woman was screaming and the man was calling 911," Hoben said.
Early indications point to a grill being used indoors.
“Now in the winter time we seal up the windows keep everything inside, the CO could really accumulate,” said Alms.
The symptoms can be flu-like.
"Headaches, dizziness, nausea,” Alms added.
He also says batteries on detectors should be changed at least every 6 months.
"We'll check appliances, make sure their detectors are in proper working order,” said Alms.