Filing a Tax Extension

The IRS offers tax payers the option to file an extension. Extensions give six months extra time
to file, not pay. It works across the board for everyone. Filers have to
estimate what they owe, then send in that money. 
 Tax Professional, Jennifer Kurzynsky says "It's not like a credit card where you get the bill and you have thirty days or twenty days to pay it without interest. The IRS doesn't work that way."
Tax extensions can be filed electronically, through the mail or a tax prep service. The form 4868 is used. Tax extension forms need to be filed by midnight on April 17th, or post marked by the post office with that date.
 To file a tax extension form online visit


More Stories

Don't Miss

Latest News

Video Center