UPDATE: Cleanup "Could Take A Month" in Belvidere


, Ill.
--Heavy rain and high winds brought a long stretch of hot weather to an end on Monday, but the storm packed quite a punch that could take a while to clean up.

"We're going to be picking up after this storm for probably the next month," Belvidere Public Works Director Brent Anderson said.


Residents across the Stateline are still cleaning up the mess after 65 mile-per-hour winds brought down large trees and cut power to nearly 15,000 customers.


ComEd spokesman Paul Calighan says that number has dwindled to nearly 2,500 Tuesday afternoon. Calighan says most will have their lights back on this evening, and everyone should have power by Wednesday morning.


Alpine Bank on North State Streetwas damaged when winds blew apart most of the canopy for the drive thru.


"The whole drive up section and all that way had all kinds of debris in the field," Marketing Director Kelly Rink. "We got people here at 11:30, 11:40 and we're here for a couple hours trying to make sure that everything that needed to be done last night for safety was done."


Rink says that after overnight clean up efforts, the bank lobby opened on time and the drive thru window was open by the early afternoon hours.


Belvidere residents continued clean up efforts with private contractors and city public works crews cut up large branches and trees that fell on streets, garages, a few vehicles and even power lines. A large tree was being taken a part at the intersection of Baker and Menominee, one of the hardest hit areas in town.


The power of the storm surprised most people, including Anderson.


"You're home and you hear the wind blowing and it didn't last too long," Anderson said. "There was no damage in my neighborhood, but once we got into town, it was pretty widespread."


Lincoln and Hancock Streets were among the dozen roads blocked because of downed trees and power lines. Belvidere Public Works Director Brent Anderson says all the roads were open to traffic, however, some side streets remained blocked as of Tuesday evening.


Calighan says if people see any fallen power lines or want to report an outage, to call 1-800-Edison1.


Ben Hutchison contributed to this report




More Stories

Don't Miss

Latest News

Video Center