UPDATE: Memorial Vigil To Be Held For Schulz


UPDATE (7/11/14) - Friends of family of a Sycamore man who tragically died this week will honor his memory tonight.

A candle vigil and balloon release will take place at Hopkins Park at 8pm.  According to the event's Facebook page, more than 200 people have committed to attend.

UPDATE (7/10/14-6:00pm) - The DeKalb County Coroner has determined that 23-year-old Stephen Schulz died of a single gunshot wound to the head.  They say there was no sign of a struggle or other trauma.  The dive team also recovered what is believed to be the weapon used in his death.

Right now, investigators are calling it a death investigation, and not a suspected murder or suicide at this time.  The Sheriff's Office says the investigation remains open.

TRAFFIC ALERT: Glidden Road north of Route 72 has reopened for the time being. However, DeKalb County Sheriff's Office announces the Glidden Road will close again later this morning (July 10th) at 8:00 AM between Route 72 and Wolf Road. Only residence living in the area will be allowed into that area. This is being done as a safety precaution as the investigation continues.

UPDATE: The DeKalb County Sheriff's Department has confirmed that the body of Steven Shulz has been found in the Kishwaukee River near River Lane. The body was discovered by a member of the D-N-R around 1:00pm Tuesday afternoon.

Schulz will have an autopsy Thursday.

KIRKLAND - Crews from as far away as Naperville comb the Genoa area, looking for a 23-year old man not seen since Sunday. What police say is suspicious is what friends say he was doing just before he disappeared.

K-9 Units and rescue crews search the Kishwaukee River, for signs of 23-year old Steven Schulz who went missing Sunday afternoon. "We first came out here last night with a
K-9 Unit, after we found the missing persons vehicle had been parked out here for an extended amount of time" said Chief Deputy Gary Dundie

Police say they found his Chevy pick up truck parked on the side of Route 72 and Glidden Road in Kirkland, and when officers ran the plates it came up that Schulz had been reported missing. "It was nothing unusual; people come down here to fish all the time. It was unoccupied, there were no signs of foul play or anything, and there is still not that we have found yet." said Chief Deputy Dundie

Friends of Schulz say they have not heard from him since Sunday. After he told them he was on his way to meet a man near Kirkland to buy a gun. Police do not know who that man is, but the exchange may have taken a turn for the worse because the 23-year old never came back.

Search teams from as far away as Naperville have been called in to help and still no sign on the 23-year old. Police tell Eyewitness News they will continue their search until they find him. Chief Deputy Dundie said "I have also spoken with the family, just to let them know what is going on up here. We will keep them informed as far as anything that occurs up here. We will all continue to work together and see if we can find him"

More Stories

Don't Miss

Latest News

Video Center