UPDATE: The drive is over. HOPE received $5,000 from Verizon. The Cairo Women's Shelter in Cairo, IL also received $5,000.
ROCHELLE - The state launches its 3rd annual cell phone drive to help victims of domestic violence.
It marks the beginning of Domestic Violence Awareness Month. For each phone donated, Verizon Wireless will contribute $10, up to $10,000, to domestic vioelnce shelters in need.
"These donated cell phones provide a valuable resource to survivors" says Lt. Gov. Sheila Simon (D).
The phones will be refurbished and sold. All the proceeds will support shelters and programs, including HOPE, which is located in Rochelle. HOPE serves roughly 450 survivors from Ogle and NE Lee Counties.
Phones can be donated through Oct. 10. You can do so at several locations throughout the state:
- James R. Thompson Center, 100 W. Randolph St., 15th Floor, Chicago
- The State Capitol, 214 State Capitol, Springfield
- IDOT Facility, 2801 W. Murphysboro Rd., Carbondale
- Capaha Bank, 2801 Sycamore St., Cairo
- Huffman Insurance Agency, 2035 Washington Ave., Cairo
- Any Verizon Wireless Store
More than 1,000 cell phones were donated last year.