The Machine Shed Giant Cinnamon Rolls
Prep: 35 minutes | Rise: 1 hour, 45 minutes | Bake: 35 minutes
10 to 10 1/2 cups of all purpose flour
2 1/2 cups milk
2 packages of active dry yeast
1 cup butter
1 cup sugar
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 recipe Butter Cream Frosting (see below)
1. In a very large mixing bowl combine 3 1/2 cups of the flour and the yeast.
2. In a medium saucepan heat milk, 1 cup butter, 1 cup sugar, and salt just until warm (120 - 130 degrees F) and butter is almost melted. stirring constantly. Add flour to mixture. Add eggs and vanilla. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds, scraping sides of bowl constantly. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes. Using a wooden spoon, stir in as much of the remaining flour as you can.
3. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in enough of the remaining flour to make a moderately soft dough that is smooth and elastic (3 to 5 minutes total). Shape into a ball. Place in a greased bowl, turning once. Cover, let rise in a warm place till double (about 1 hour).
4. For filling, combine brown sugar and cinnamon. Grease two 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pans; set aside.
5. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Divide dough in half. Cover and let rise for 10 minutes. Roll half of the dough into a 16 x 12 inch rectangle.
6. Spread dough with half of the softened butter. Sprinkle with half of the softened butter. Sprinkle with half of the brown sugar mixture. Roll up jelly-roll style starting with one of the short sides; pinch edges to seal. Slice roll into six pieces. Arrange dough pieces, cut sides up, in one of the prepared baking pans. Repeat with remaining dough, butter and filling. Makes 12.
7. Cover and let dough rise in a warm place until nearly double, about 45 minutes. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
8. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until browned and rolls sound hollow when lightly tapped. Remove rolls from oven. Cool for 1 minute. Carefully invert cinnamon rolls onto a wire rack. Cool slightly. Invert again onto a serving platter. Spread with butter cream icing and serve warm. Makes 12.
Butter Cream Frosting
In a large bowl beat together: 1/2 cup butter, softened; 3 cups powdered sugar; 1 teaspoon vanilla; and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Gradually beat in 1/4 cup evaporated milk. Beat in enough additional powdered sugar (about 1 1/2 cups) to make a soft spreading consistency. Makes 1 3/4 cup frosting.