ROCKFORD, Ill. (WTVO) — A fundraiser has golfers hit the links while raising awareness for an issue deep within the community.
The Amanda Reed Memorial hosted its 10th annual ‘Golf Play Day’ to raise money for domestic abuse awareness. Reed was killed by her boyfriend in 2009.
Ever since her tragic death, the foundation has educated Stateline children about domestic violence to prevent the cycle from continuing.
“Domestic violence is the number one service call in the city of Rockford, number one at the top of the list, so we feel it’s very important to start with the younger kids now because domestic violence we feel is learned,” Mary Bartelson said.
The golf outing raised nearly $10,000.
- Late Season Freeze Follows Tuesday’s Snow Chances
- New iPad, iMac expected at Apple online event, with hint at AirPods 3
- Biologist names newly discovered insect after coronavirus
- New Jersey adds ‘X’ gender option on driver’s licenses and IDs
- Corey Anderson moves up Bellator MMA’s rankings, moves closer to $1M payday