A program at Rock Valley College prepares students for employment

Education Matters

ROCKFORD, Ill. (WTVO) — An adult education program at Rock Valley College prepares students for employees.

ICAPS is a short-term program that helps students land a job faster.

Dayami Vazquez came to the U.S. from Cuba with a Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science.

“I have an IT background. I wanted to, you know, do the same here. You know, working with computer because that’s what I love to do, working with computers, and people,” said Vazquez.

Vazquez was taking English classes at Rock Valley College when she learned about the ICAPS program. It helps students earn a college certificate while improving their English language skills or working on their GED.

You can obtain this college certificate in a year or less so that is desirable for a lot of our students,” said Transitions Coor RVC, Jenny Morgan. “They are in some high demand fields and also fields where you can earn a family supporting wage.”

Students can earn certificates in Industrial Welding, Mechatronics, or Network Technician programs.

ICAPS students get additional academic support to help them be successful.

“The support in transitioning to college which can be a big transition for students and also the support in the classroom and with some of those life skills too,” said Morgan.

Vazquez completed the program and is already working as a network administrator for a computer company.

“I’ve been living just three years in United States and I already have a certificate here, you know. So I think it was awesome. The opportunity I had. So I’m very grateful,” said Vazquez.

RVC will hold an ICAPS information session November 6th.

More information on the program can be found at this link.

MORE HEADLINES:

For more local news, download the MyStateline app (iOS) or (Android) and subscribe with Alexa.

Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram!

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories