DirecTV

Former heroin addict shares how Tip Court saved her life

Education Matters

WINNEBAGO COUNTY, Ill. (WTVO) — Transforming lives while improving public safety is the goal of a Winnebago County court program.

Therapeutic Intervention Program or Tip Court held it’s 27th graduation ceremony.

Graduate Krysten Latta is celebrating her successful completion of the program. She says she used heroin for 20 years and lived on the streets.

Latta was arrested for selling drugs and was given the option to go through rehab and tip court or go to prison.

She says tip court saved her life.

“Tip Court gave me the resources to learn how to cope with a lot of, I’ve had a lot of tragedy, a lot of OD’s and one of my friends was murdered,” Latta said. “My sister was murdered within these last two years and if it wasn’t for TIP Court, I probably wouldn’t be here.”

“As they move through the program having structured daily living activities, whether that’s employment, education or just merely having a plan for each day, depending on the level of functioning of the participant, we have all kinds of job training resources available through probation as well as education opportunities,” said Janet Holmgren, presiding TIP Court judge.

Since it began in 2005, 165 people have graduated from Tip Court.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Made in the Stateline

More Made in the Stateline

Education Matters

More Education Matters

Behind the Badge

More Behind the Badge

Stateline Strong

More Stateline Strong

Trending Stories