ROCKFORD, Ill. (WTVO) — A local county judge is promoting the importance for kids to keep reading.
The program called “Page It Forward” sends judges to read to students at schools across the state.
On Wednesday, the 17th Circut Winnebango County Judge Gwyn Gulley volunteered as guest reader at Constance Lane Elementary. In honor of President Abraham Lincoln’s birthday, Judge Gulley read “Abe Lincoln’s Hat.”
She stressed how reading should be about engaging the children’s imagination. “I hope that they see that stories can be fun and interesting. And that reading does not have to be boring or difficult. And that they would be encouraged to read.” Judge Gwyn Gulley, said.
The program is sponsored by the Illinois Judge’s Association
- Illinois reports new 1,713 COVID-19 cases and 31 deaths on Memorial Day
- Debt and coronavirus push Hertz into bankruptcy protection
- Meet the 1-year-old chef with 1.3 million followers on Instagram
- US faces Memorial Day like no other under virus restrictions
- N. Main Street closed from Jefferson to Mulberry streets for emergency repairs