SOMERSBY, Australia (CNN) — An Australian wildlife park is celebrating the birth of its first baby koala since the area’s devastating bush fires.
The baby koala, known as a joey, was revealed in a Facebook video posted by the Australian Reptile Park on Tuesday.
Keepers have named the baby ‘Ash’ and call her a sign of hope for the future of Australia’s native wildlife after thousands of the continent’s rare marsupials died in bush fires last year.
Some fear the koala is on the brink of extinction in the wild.
The park is set to reopen Monday, following the relaxation of Australia’s coronavirus lockdown measures.
- Dog mauls toddler to death at Fourth of July party
- Johnny Depp sues tabloid newspaper for article calling him a “wife beater”
- Estep’s blast lifts Rivets to their third straight win
- Fighting fires in heat adds extra dangers for area first responders
- Future ‘Rockton Street Market’ liquor license to only include beer and wine