ROCKFORD, Ill. (WTVO) — The Better Business Bureau says a new email scam is targeting local businesses.
The BBB says the “business email compromise scam” targets a victim with an email that appears to come from someone important within the company or organization.
The scammers often ask for money or important information to be wired to the recipient. Using this tactic, scammers have got away with $3 billion in the last three years.
Dennis Horton, Director of the Rockford BBB offered some tips individuals can use to protect themselves:
“There is a secret weapon in all of this, and it’s simple: all you have to do is make a phone call to that person, or get up and walk down the hall and ask them if they made that request,” he said.
Eighty percent of businesses were targeted by scam emails in 2018.
- ‘Glory Days’: 2010 State Champion Lena-Winslow Panthers
- Get To Know Guilford’s Ashlee Smolenski
- Rockford Police investigate after suspect robs Dollar Tree
- Rockford City Market wraps up 2020 season
- Six hospitalized in two Boone County crashes on Friday