BELOIT, Wis. (WTVO) — The City of Beloit says radium levels exceeding state and federal drinking standards have been found in one well.
The city says the radium was discovered during a series of tests over the last year, and it has stopped using the well.
Drinking water from the wells in use remains safe, officials explained, saying short term exposure to low doses of radium is harmless.
Long term exposure can increase the risk of bone cancer, however.
- Science kits allow kids to experiment from home
- No WiFi at home? One Virginia school district has a creative solution for students
- Which face masks are most effective?
- Independent consultant to review evidence in Wisconsin police shooting of Jacob Blake
- Rockford Park District explains changes in new proposal