BELOIT, Wis. (WTVO) — The City of Beloit says radium levels exceeding state and federal drinking standards have been found in one well.
The city says the radium was discovered during a series of tests over the last year, and it has stopped using the well.
Drinking water from the wells in use remains safe, officials explained, saying short term exposure to low doses of radium is harmless.
Long term exposure can increase the risk of bone cancer, however.
- Craigslist ad goes viral, sparks search for ‘Grandma’ in need of family for Christmas
- Remembering Sandy Hook victims 7 years later
- Two state workers involved in A.J. Freund case no longer work for DCFS
- Woman killed crossing Illinois interstate to reach family
- Woman arrested in Roscoe for sexual abuse to a minor