BELOIT, Wis. (WTVO) — The City of Beloit says radium levels exceeding state and federal drinking standards have been found in one well.
The city says the radium was discovered during a series of tests over the last year, and it has stopped using the well.
Drinking water from the wells in use remains safe, officials explained, saying short term exposure to low doses of radium is harmless.
Long term exposure can increase the risk of bone cancer, however.
- 49er fans get fresh ink ahead of the Big Game
- Trades play big role in building of Super Bowl-bound 49ers
- With foundation in Mahomes, Chiefs built team for Super Bowl
- PHOTOS: Super Bowl teams wrap up local practices before Miami trip
- San Francisco, Kansas City zoos kick off friendly competition ahead of Super Bowl