JANESVILLE, Wis. (WTVO) — The body of a 9-year-old girl who went missing in the Rock River on Thursday, June 25th was found Monday, police said.
Madison Billups was last seen near Angler’s Park near the Rock River in Janesville around 7:20 p.m. Thursday.
Madison was with a young boy who was saved in a water rescue by a bystander. However, police say the bystander lost track of Madison.
“This lady is a hero but it’s going to be difficult for her, too. She did what she could. She should be totally praised for her actions,” explained Deputy Chief Terry Sheridan.
On Friday morning, authorities changed their response from rescue to recovery, and searched near the Monterey Dam in Janesville.
Search crews looked for her all day Friday when they were forced to stop due to the weather around 5:30 p.m.
Rock County Sheriff’s officials returned to their search Saturday morning.
Police say on Monday morning, a citizen alerted police that they had seen a body in the water at Bellrichard Bridge, approximately 5,000 feet downstream of where Madison was last seen.
- Rivets held to one hit on an opening night loss to the La Crosse Loggers
- Health officials hope people are thoughtful about virus risks ahead of July 4th weekend
- Tips for AC units that could save you big time
- Frequent bus passenger buys ice cream for RMTD workers
- Rockford Art Museum to re-open on Monday