BELVIDERE, Ill. (WTVO) — The bomb squad was called into action Thursday afternoon after the report of an armed robbery at First National Bank.
Shortly before 1 p.m. the bank, at 1725 S. State Street was evacuated as police interviewed witnesses who reported seeing a suspicious package by the front door.
Police blocked off several blocks surrounding the area and a member of the bomb squad was seen removing the package from the bank.
According to officials, initial reports said a dark-skinned male, 6’01”, stocky build, wearing a black or blue sweatshirt and jeans, with mask covering his face, entered the bank with a black bag and demanded money.
The man left the bank with an undisclosed amount of cash and was last seen heading northwest.
Police say the device in the package was disposed of by the bomb squad.
Anyone with information on the crime is asked to call the Belvidere Police Department at 815-544-2135.
- Light Wintry Mix Possible Overnight Monday, into Tuesday Morning
- Local art students learn best ways to prepare for college
- Transform Rockford begins its holiday book drive
- Rockford communities looking to bring Christmas joy to children everywhere
- Mötley Crüe announces reunion, blows up ‘cessation of touring agreement’ in video