BELVIDERE, Ill. (WTVO) — The bomb squad was called into action Thursday afternoon after the report of an armed robbery at First National Bank.
Shortly before 1 p.m. the bank, at 1725 S. State Street was evacuated as police interviewed witnesses who reported seeing a suspicious package by the front door.
Police blocked off several blocks surrounding the area and a member of the bomb squad was seen removing the package from the bank.
According to officials, initial reports said a dark-skinned male, 6’01”, stocky build, wearing a black or blue sweatshirt and jeans, with mask covering his face, entered the bank with a black bag and demanded money.
The man left the bank with an undisclosed amount of cash and was last seen heading northwest.
Police say the device in the package was disposed of by the bomb squad.
Anyone with information on the crime is asked to call the Belvidere Police Department at 815-544-2135.
- Former Crusader James Robinson helps ISU to victory over Northern Arizona, their third straight win
- Pineiro questionable for Bears MNF game
- Chicago reassigns 12 to Rockford
- 25 years later, a new generation gets immersed in ‘Friends’
- Holy anniversary! Displays of bat signal fete Batman at 80