CHICAGO (AP) — Police say a 9-year-old boy was killed when a gunman fired several shots toward the Chicago parking lot where he was playing.
Nobody else was injured in the shooting around 6 p.m. near the former Cabrini-Green housing projects on the city’s Near North Side.
The boy was pronounced dead about an hour after being admitted to the hospital with a gunshot wound to the chest, police said.
Deputy Chief of Patrol Brian McDermott, who spoke to the media from the hospital, said the boy was the “unintended target” in an attack of “senseless violence.”
- RPS reveals survey data, along with other back-to-school updates
- Stimulus check update: Trump, McConnell huddle as COVID aid talks at risk of collapse
- President Trump signs executive orders to ban TikTok, WeChat in 45 days
- Freeport city leads open their ears to residents on ways to improve relationships with the community
- Rockford man charged with Attempted Murder after roommate dispute turns violent