(AP) — Johnson & Johnson is recalling a single lot of its baby powder as a precaution after government testing found trace amounts of asbestos in one bottle bought online.
The recall comes as J&J fights thousands of lawsuits in which plaintiffs claim its iconic baby powder was contaminated with asbestos and that it caused ovarian cancer or another rare cancer. At multiple trials, J&J experts have testified asbestos hasn’t been detected in the talc in its baby powder in many tests over 40 years.
On Friday, J&J said the U.S. Food and Drug Administration found minuscule amounts of asbestos in one bottle. The company is investigating whether the bottle is counterfeit and how the contamination occurred.
The recalled lot contained 33,000 bottles.
J&J shares dropped 4% to $130.86.
- Protestors, police clash again at Rockford City Market
- Man taken to hospital after motorcycle crash in Rockford
- One person shot at Rockford bar
- Winnebago Co. school administrators address back to school plans
- Overwhelming response to boy’s search for a family, ‘I hope one of y’all pick me’
Copyright © 2020 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.