(AP) — Johnson & Johnson is recalling a single lot of its baby powder as a precaution after government testing found trace amounts of asbestos in one bottle bought online.
The recall comes as J&J fights thousands of lawsuits in which plaintiffs claim its iconic baby powder was contaminated with asbestos and that it caused ovarian cancer or another rare cancer. At multiple trials, J&J experts have testified asbestos hasn’t been detected in the talc in its baby powder in many tests over 40 years.
On Friday, J&J said the U.S. Food and Drug Administration found minuscule amounts of asbestos in one bottle. The company is investigating whether the bottle is counterfeit and how the contamination occurred.
The recalled lot contained 33,000 bottles.
J&J shares dropped 4% to $130.86.
- Sippin’ And Tippin’ With Susan Is February 11th And You Won’t Want To Miss It
- Super Bowl Picks With Scott Leber, Eyewitness News Sports Director
- You’ll Want To Check Out The New Discovery Town At The Discovery Center Museum
- Choice Furniture to shut down at CherryVale Mall
- An Evening Of Hope Telethon For The Rockford Rescue Mission Is Right Here On WTVO
Copyright © 2020 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.