(AP) — Johnson & Johnson is recalling a single lot of its baby powder as a precaution after government testing found trace amounts of asbestos in one bottle bought online.
The recall comes as J&J fights thousands of lawsuits in which plaintiffs claim its iconic baby powder was contaminated with asbestos and that it caused ovarian cancer or another rare cancer. At multiple trials, J&J experts have testified asbestos hasn’t been detected in the talc in its baby powder in many tests over 40 years.
On Friday, J&J said the U.S. Food and Drug Administration found minuscule amounts of asbestos in one bottle. The company is investigating whether the bottle is counterfeit and how the contamination occurred.
The recalled lot contained 33,000 bottles.
J&J shares dropped 4% to $130.86.
- Task force briefs lawmakers on Capitol security 2 months after riot
- Prince Harry says inheritance from Princess Diana made it possible to leave royal family
- Illinois Sen. Bailey’s paper ballot proposal would affect voters with disabilities, election board says
- Rockford basketball coach pleads guilty to $10k theft
- Rockton man involved in deadly Cedar Rapids crash is suspect in 2017 Loves Park murder
Copyright © 2020 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.