(WTVO) — Macy’s department stores, which shut down on March 18th due to the outbreak of COVID-19, announced Monday that they would be laying off 130,000 employees after having “lost the majority” of sales.
Macy’s, which also owns Bloomingdales and Bluemercury brands, said the furloughs would begin this week.
The company plans to continue to operate its distribution centers and call centers to serve customers shopping online.
Furloughed worker will continue to receive benefits at least through May, after which it plans to bring workers back on a staggered basis.
- President Trump, Ivanka made donations to Harris’s campaign in 2014
- Rockford man sentenced to 60 years for raping, transmitting HIV to child
- Thrive Cafe to close downtown Rockford location
- Watch: Phoenix Suns surprise players by having families announce lineup from home
- Rockford residents spend Tuesday cleaning up after devastating storm