CHICAGO, Ill. (WLS/ABC) — As the 2019 NFL season gets ready to kickoff this week the Bears cemented the legacy of two of their all-time greats.
The organization unveiled statues of legendary Hall of Famers Walter Payton and George Halas at Soldier Field Tuesday morning.
The 12-foot, 3,000 pound bronze statues are part of this year’s centennial celebration. The private ceremony was held this morning and then the area will open up to the public for viewing.
The statue unveiling is part of the Bears’ centennial celebration ahead of the opening game against the Green Bay Packers Thursday night at Soldier Field.
- Rockford youth hockey team win’s NIHL Championship
- LIVE: Los Angeles honors Kobe, Gianna Bryant with public memorial
- Police hope to identify suspect in Winnebago County cell phone store fraud
- Rockford restaurant subject of social media firestorm
- Dry Monday Ahead of Next Snow Maker
Copyright © 2019 ABC News One. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.