JANESVILLE, Wis. (WTVO) — The Rock County Medical Examiner has confirmed the body found in the Rock River last week is that of 9-year-old Madison Billups.
The coroner says findings are consistent with her death being an accidental drowning.
Billups went missing in the Rock River on Thursday, June 25th and was found Monday, June 29th police said.
Madison was with a young boy who was saved in a water rescue by a bystander. However, police say the bystander lost track of Madison.
“This lady is a hero but it’s going to be difficult for her, too. She did what she could. She should be totally praised for her actions,” explained Deputy Chief Terry Sheridan.
Police say a citizen alerted police that they had seen a body in the water at Bellrichard Bridge, approximately 5,000 feet downstream of where Madison was last seen.
- Rockford Police investigate Auburn St. shooting
- Rockford teens charged after police find loaded gun in car
- After disaster declaration, Ogle County officials say storm damage is like nothing they’ve ever seen
- Rockford house fire possibly caused by severe weather, officials say
- VP Pence tweets “America needs College Football”