MENDOTA, Ill. (AP) — Del Monte Foods will close a corn-packing plant in north central Illinois, idling more than 600 full-time and seasonal employees.
Parent company Del Monte Pacific Ltd. announced Tuesday the closing of the Mendota plant is part of a restructuring. Del Monte also will close a plant in Sleepy Eye, Minnesota, and sell one in Cambria, Wisconsin. It says production will end at the end of the current pack season.
Del Monte Pacific CEO Joselito D. Campos Jr. said the “restructuring is a necessary step for us to remain competitive in a rapidly changing marketplace.”
The La Salle News-Tribune reports the Mendota plant employs about 30 salaried and 100 hourly workers and up to 550 seasonal workers. It says layoffs there will begin in October.
- Kirstie Alley defends Trump vote, responds to ‘nasty people’
- Indiana man admits to pushing toddler down stairs after argument over food, court docs show
- Texas woman dies of COVID-19 while on commercial flight
- Some Rockford Mass Transit drivers say buses need more safety measures
- Three former elementary schools in Rockford to be sold as land banks
Copyright © 2020 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.