UPDATE: NASCAR says Ryan Newman in serious condition with non-life-threatening injuries following Daytona 500 crash.
DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (WFLA/AP) — In a wild finish to the Daytona 500, Ryan Newman took a scary ride along the track when he crashed trying to hold onto the lead.
Newman’s car flipped several times and crossed the finish line on its roof, engulfed in flames.
FOX broadcasters announced crews removed Newman from the car and he was being rushed to a hospital in the area. No other information was provided.
Denny Hamlin won the Daytona 500 for the second-straight year. But as you might imagine, the mood was somewhat somber following the race.
- OSF executives face salary reduction as doctor visits, surgeries on the decline during outbreak
- IDOT installs stop lights at accident-prone Winnebago County intersection
- Roscoe companies deliver 3D printed face shields to frontline workers
- Rock River Disposal making changes to how it collects recycling
- New COVID-19 cases: Boone, 1, Rock County, 3, DeKalb, 7, Stephenson, 1
Copyright © 2020 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.