UPDATE: NASCAR says Ryan Newman in serious condition with non-life-threatening injuries following Daytona 500 crash.
DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (WFLA/AP) — In a wild finish to the Daytona 500, Ryan Newman took a scary ride along the track when he crashed trying to hold onto the lead.
Newman’s car flipped several times and crossed the finish line on its roof, engulfed in flames.
FOX broadcasters announced crews removed Newman from the car and he was being rushed to a hospital in the area. No other information was provided.
Denny Hamlin won the Daytona 500 for the second-straight year. But as you might imagine, the mood was somewhat somber following the race.
- Protestors, police clash again at Rockford City Market
- Man taken to hospital after motorcycle crash in Rockford
- One person shot at Rockford bar
- Winnebago Co. school administrators address back to school plans
- Overwhelming response to boy’s search for a family, ‘I hope one of y’all pick me’
Copyright © 2020 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.