MADISON, Wis. (AP) — Gov. Tony Evers is urging President Donald Trump to end his trade wars with other countries because they’re hurting Wisconsin farmers.
Evers, a Democrat, sent Trump a letter Monday asking him to end the disputes. He says Wisconsin farmers are suffering a “triple whammy” of trade uncertainty, low commodity prices and bad weather.
The state Democratic Party held a news conference earlier Monday to criticize Trump on the one-year anniversary of a tweet in which the president called for a boycott of Harley-Davidson motorcycles.
Trump made the tweet after the Milwaukee-based company it was moving production of motorcycles sold in Europe to facilities outside the U.S. Harley-Davidson blamed tariffs the European Union imposed in retaliation for tariffs Trump imposed on a host of EU products.
- CDC advises parents to look out for polio-like condition in children
- State prison turns away Logan County inmates infected with COVID-19
- Twin YouTube stars charged after Uber driver held at gunpoint during fake bank robbery
- Rivets ready to resume their season with a new-look roster stocked with local guys
- Local board looking to improve mental health access for teens
Copyright © 2020 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.