Family of 8 Loses Home After Saturday Night Fire


A family of eight loses their home in a house fire Saturday night.

“At your address,your house is burned,” said Sifa Mufayonge.  It was a phone call the Mufayonge family received from Rockford Firefighters.  This came after their home on Acorn Street caught fire.  The family were at a relatives wedding when the blaze began. Rockford Fire Department shared a video of the home with thick clouds of smoke and flames billowing from the side.  The family of eight was hoping there was something to come back to.

“I can come there to see if I can get clothes, my documents and some food,” said Mufayonge.

However, fire officials had told her that there was nothing left. The family returned to the site Sunday morning to the site and saw remains that were charred, frozen and covered in snow.  Mufayonge says the news was unbearable.  She says its difficult not having the answer, to the biggest question. What had happened?

“I don’t know where the fire [came] from we don’t smoke,” said Mufayonge.  “The fire [department] asked if we [had] candles, but we never used them.”

Mufayonge and her family now living at a Rockford hotel. until they find a more permanent place to stay.

“I don’t know. I just need prayer,” said Mufayonge. “I don’t l know where I can go, and what I can do, because its almost [as if] my life is all done. I don’t know where, [what] I can do to get my house back.”

“At least we’re together, said Mufayonge’s Husband, John Peter.  “This was very bad, especially to her.”

The fire is still under investigation.

The Mufayonge family are taking donations. To donate e-mail the family directly.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Latest News Video

Trending Stories