3 girls, 2 boys charged in murder, robbery of Nashville musician

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WTVO) - 24-year-old Kyle Yorlets, lead singer of the Nashville-based rock band Carverton, was gunned down outside his house Thursday afternoon by five children after he refused to give them his car keys.

Three girls, ages 12, 14 and 15, and two boys, ages 13 and 16, were charged with criminal homicide in his death.

Officers were called to the 3200 block of Torbett Street just after 2:56 p.m. Police say Yorlets was shot in his driveway but was able to make it back inside the house where he was found by one of his housemates.

He was taken to Vanderbilt University Medical Center where he died.

Yorlet's band released a statement Friday morning: "We are heartbroken," the statement read. "Our condolences for his family and loved ones and all the lives that he touched. We will never forget Kyle, and though he is gone too soon his legacy is here to stay. We thank you for your support and will talk to you soon."

Nashville Police became involved in the case Thursday morning during the search for a 12-year-old girl who had run away from home. Police say Snapchat posts were discovered showing her in a car with "other young people with guns," according to The Tennessean.

Investigators say the group of kids wound up in a stolen red Chevrolet Colorado pick-up truck in the alley behind Yorlet's home. According to police, they approached him and took his wallet, and then shot him when he refused to give up the keys to his vehicle.

At 6 p.m., the truck was found abandoned in the 1600 block of Timberland Drive.

Witnesses told police that three juveniles were seen leaving the truck.

All five juveniles were arrested at the West Nashville Walmart late Thursday night. A stolen .9 mm pistol was recovered from one of the juveniles, and a second loaded, stolen pistol was found inside the Walmart.

Because of the severity of the charges against them, Roniyah McKnight, 14, Diamond Lewis, 15, and Decorrius Wright, 16, were identified by police. The 12-year-old girl and a 13-year-old boy were not identified.

More Stories

Latest News

Video Center