The man accused of shooting and killing McHenry County Sheriff’s Deputy Jacob Keltner said he didn’t do it at a court appearance on Wednesday.
Earlier this month, Deputy Keltner was gunned down in the parking lot of the Extended Stay America parking lot while serving a warrant, as part of the U.S. Marshal’s Fugitive Task Force.
39-year-old Floyd Brown was wheeled into the courtroom in a wheelchair, still recovering from injuries he suffered as a result of jumping from the third floor window of the hotel, and a car crash that occurred after he ran from the Illinois State Police.
“A Grand Jury has indicted Mr. Brown with three offenses,” said U.S. Attorney John Lausch. “The primary charge is the murder of a federal law enforcement officer. Obviously, that’s the killing of Special Deputy U.S. Marshal Jacob Keltner on March 7th.”
Brown is also charged with Possession of a Firearm.
Prosecutors say he had four separate weapons on him, two pistols and a rifle, as well as ammunition.
The third charge is that each of the weapons had the serial numbers filed off.
“Typically speaking, we do try to identify where the guns came from. It is a separate charge that the serial numbers were obliterated, which is why we brought that charge,” Lausch said.
Brown pleaded Not Guilty to all three charges.
Officials have the weapons that were in Brown’s possession during the shootings on March 7th. They also have 58 CDs with both videos and photographs as evidence.
Attorneys for both Brown and the government will have to go through them all to use them as evidence at the trial.
“We do our job as we’re supposed to, without fear or favor, so we will just dispassionately present the evidence in this case, like we do in all of our cases, in order to seek justice,” Lausch said.
Keltner’s family did request the federal judge to have the trial take place in Rockford rather than Chicago. The judge said he would pass along the request to the trial judge.
Brown is due back in court on May 14th.