ROCKFORD, Ill. (WTVO) — Four actresses from the movie “A League of Their Own” will be coming to Rockford on September 13th and 14th to honor director Penny Marshall, who passed away last year.
“A League of Their Own” was released in 1992 and tells the story of the Rockford Peaches, an All-American Girls Professional Baseball team during World War II.
Marshall, who directed the film, passed away at the age of 75 in December 2018.
Marshall’s daughter, Tracy Reiner, who played Betty “Spaghetti” Horn, will be joined by Megan Cavanaugh (Marla Hooch), Anne Ramsay (Helen Haley), and Patti Pelton (Marbleann Wilkinson) for the Penny Marshall Celebration.
Actor Tom Hanks, who played Rockford Peaches manager Jimmy Dugan, and Geena Davis, who played catcher Dottie Hinson, have signed on as honorary co-chairs for the celebration.
The weekend will include a “Play Ball for Penny” on Friday, September 13th at Rockford’s Indoor City Market, 116 N. Madison Street from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. Tickets are available on Eventbrite.
Further events will be held at Beyer Stadium, at 245 15th Avenue, which was the original home of the Peaches.
- Get To Know Auburn’s Ali Cushing
- Badgers and Mertz shred the Fighting Illini
- Below average temperatures continue through the weekend
- ‘I feel fantastic’: Arnold Schwarzenegger undergoes heart surgery at Cleveland Clinic
- Illinois health director fights back tears during COVID death totals, urges people to battle ‘pandemic fatigue’