Freeport man found guilty of murder for Cedar Inn killings


FREEPORT, Ill. (WTVO) — Devin Marcum was found guilty of First Degree Murder on Friday for a double murder at the Cedar Inn in February.

Police say 23-year-old Marcum opened fire on two men in a parking lot of the Cedar Inn, 4747 IL-26, following an argument that started inside the establishment.

According to the Stephenson County Sheriff, Marcum shot and killed Kyle Tucker and Shaun Bradbury, and wounded Michael Steinhauser.

Witnesses at the Cedar Inn said Marcum was fighting with 35-year-old Steinhauser. During the altercation, Marcum drew a gun.

Witnesses testified that 35-year-old Tucker tried to intervene, in attempt to get Marcum to put down the gun, at which point Marcum opened fire.

When Stephenson County Sheriff’s deputies arrived to the Inn, Tucker was found dead at the scene, suffering from a gunshot wound to the head.

Bradbury, 36, was rushed to Mercyhealth in Rockford where he died. 

Freeport Memorial hospital treated Steinhauser, who survived a shot in the neck. 

Police say they began a quick search for the suspect and located Marcum, who police say was in possession of a handgun that matched the caliber of the weapon used in the shooting.

Marcum was charged with the murders of Tucker and Bradbury and the attempted murder of Steinhauser.

A jury found Marcum guilty of all charges against him in the slayings, including three counts of First Degree Murder, two counts of Strong Probability to Commit Murder or Injury, one count of Attempted Murder, one count of Aggravated Battery, Discharge of a Firearm, Aggravated Discharge of a Firearm in a Building, and Possession of a Firearm by a Felon.

At the trial, prosecutors showed body cam footage from Freeport officers on the night of Marcum’s arrest.

In the video, a visibly distraught Marcum is heard saying, “I didn’t get away fast enough,” and “I was in the wrong,” saying he had to make a “sacrifice” for his sisters and he “messed up.”

A tape of Marcum’s interview with investigators, taken five hours after the shooting, was also presented in court.

In that video, Marcum accused another man of the shootings, claiming that man gave Marcum the gun in order to hide it.

Marcum’s defense team argued the shooting was in self defense, to protect one of his sisters, who was the target of cyber bullying and threats, they alleged.


For more local news, download the MyStateline app (iOS) or (Android).

Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram!

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Latest News Video

Trending Stories