Garry McCarthy resigned Tuesday morning as superintendent from the Chicago Police Department at the request of Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel.
Emanuel made the announcement at a news conference outlining a new task force to tackle police accountability Tuesday.
McCarthy came under fire following the release of dash-cam video of the police shooting of Laquan McDonald, 17. McDonald was shot 16 times by Chicago Police Officer Jason Van Dyke in October 2014. Van Dyke was charged with first-degree murder last week. He is now out on bond.
McDonald’s death and the release of the video led to protests around the city and the call for McCarthy and Cook County State’s Attorney Anita Alvarez to resign.
Just hours earlier, McCarthy said he had no plans to step down and “will not give up on the good people of Chicago” during an appearance on ABC7 Eyewitness News This Morning.
“There has been enormous change over the last four and a half years. This is all being lost. In the last four years, people are talking about cultural change in the Chicago Police Department. We’ve got almost half the number of complaints from civilians this year compared to last year. Police-related shootings over the last four years are down almost 70 percent, based on policy changes, supervision and training. Think about the way that the protest have been handled here in Chicago versus other places. We’ve got officers getting punched, we’ve got them getting spit on, we’ve got object being thrown on them, and how many arrests? Maybe 12?” McCarthy said.
When asked about why Van Dyke, 37, was never disciplined for the 18 civilian complaints filed against him in his 14 years with CPD, McCarthy said the last seven complaints were not investigated by the department.
“They were investigated by the outside agency that the community is clamoring for. That’s IPRA. Our authority in investigating those complaints is not very strong,” McCarthy said.