ROCKFORD, Ill. (WTVO) — Thanksgiving is less than two weeks away, which means shoppers who haven’t snagged a turkey yet are starting to get pressed for time.
And because of the avian bird flu, supplies across the country are down by 2%, which means prices are are up slightly. Last year, the average price was about $1.42 a pound. This year it is around $1.82 nationwide.
Even though Illinois is not a turkey-producing state, the Rockford area’s major grocery chains have been able to keep prices down—below the national average in some cases.
Following is what the Stateline’s major retailers are charging for turkeys this year.
- $1.07 per pound for a Butterball 16- to 22-pound turkey
- $1.89 per pound for an ABF brand turkey
Cub Foods, Freeport
- $1.99 per pound for an Everyday Essentials 8- to 20-pound turkey
- $2.39 per pound for Butterball 12- and 15-pound turkeys
- $2.29 per pound for a Jennie-O 12- to 24-pound turkey
- $2.19 per pound for Honeysuckle 12- and 15-pound turkeys
- $11 each for a Meijer 16- to 20-pound turkey ($.55/pound)
- $7.70 each for a Meijer 10- to 14-pound turkey ($.55/pound)
- $13.20 each for a Meijer 20- to 24 pound turkey ($.55/pound)
- $18.06 each for a Butterball 10- to 14-pound turkey ($1.29/pound)
- $25.80 each for a Butterball 16- to 20-pound turkey ($1.29/pound)
- $2.39 per pound for a 10- to 20-pound Schnucks private-label turkey
- $2.49 per pound for a 10- to 24-pound Honeysuckle turkey
- $2.69 per pound for a 16- to 20-pound Butterball turkey
- $.99 per pound for a 10- to 16-pound Basted brand young turkey
- $1.19 per pound for a 10- to 24-pound Butterball turkey
- $1.18 per pound for a Butterball 10- to 16-pound and 16- to 24-pound turkeys
- $.98 per pound for Jennie-O 18- to 24-pound turkeys
- $1.29 per pound for a store-brand free range turkey
- $1.69 per pound for a 10-pound or bigger Butterball turkey
- $1.59 per pound for a 10-pound or bigger Jennie-O turkey
Organic turkeys fall in the $2 and $4 per-pound range, according to local prices.
Have you bought your Thanksgiving turkey yet? If so, what did you pay? Send us a message and let us know.