SPRINGFIELD, Ill. (WTVO) — The Illinois State Board of Education released a statement Tuesday saying face shields cannot be used instead of face masks when school returns this fall, as they are not effective against the spread of COVID-19.
The board said it issued the guidance after some educators and stakeholders suggested using face shields instead of face masks.
According to the ISBE, “Face shields have not been deemed effective for source control and are only to be used when other methods of protection are not available or appropriate.”
The ISBE added that for individuals with a medical condition, face shields can be use in those situations, with the understanding of their limitations and a “heightened need for strict adherence to social distancing.”
- Rivets held to one hit on an opening night loss to the La Crosse Loggers
- Health officials hope people are thoughtful about virus risks ahead of July 4th weekend
- Tips for AC units that could save you big time
- Frequent bus passenger buys ice cream for RMTD workers
- Rockford Art Museum to re-open on Monday