WHEELING, Ill. (WTVO) – The Illinois State Trooper who shot while executing a search warrant Thursday evening is recovering.
The shooting stemmed from an incident that occurred earlier in the day.
Police say around 1:30 a.m. officers conducted a traffic stop on I-294.
More details about the stop were not given, but charges of Forcible Detention, Aggravated Assault of a Police Officer and Aggravated Unlawful Restraint were then leveled against the suspect.
Later that evening police conducted a search of a residence in Wheeling, where the male suspect then opened fire on officers.
One office was shot.
Police surrounded the residence with snipers on nearby rooftops, and eventually arrested the suspect.
The wounded officer was taken to the hospital with non-life threatening injuries, and is said to be recovering.
No charges have been issued in the shooting as of yet.
- Disney honors Chadwick Boseman’s birthday with special ‘Black Panther’ opening
- America’s growing debt crisis sparks concerns for future generations
- Bears’ five-game losing streak weighing on Matt Nagy
- Hononegah’s King named to Big East Honor Roll at Marquette
- Illini basketball team climbs in national rankings