SPRINGFIELD, Ill. (WTVO) — Gov. JB Pritzker announced that Illinois has conducted more than 1 million tests for coronavirus.
This milestone was announced as state health officials reported 1,156 new cases of coronavirus and 59 deaths. In total, there have been 125,915 cases of coronavirus cases and 5,795 deaths.
Pritzker also reiterated Friday that all Illinois community-based testing sites are now open for anyone to get tested, regardless of symptoms. At these sites, testing is free for the individual.
The state is expanding testing as recent widespread protests and unrest sparked by the death of George Floyd have created concerns they could lead to a new outbreak of COVID-19.
As such, the health officials are encouraging anyone who has recently been part of a mass gathering like a protest or rally over the past week to get tested five to seven days after the event took place, or if they start to show symptoms.
The deaths announced today include:
• Cook County: 3 males 30s, 1 female 40s, 1 male 40s, 3 females 50s, 1 male 50s, 3 females 60s, 1 male 60s, 3 females 70s, 2 males 70s, 4 females 80s, 8 males 80s, 3 females 90s, 2 males 90s
• DuPage County: 1 male 60s, 1 female 70s
• Iroquois County: 1 male 70s
• Kane County: 1 female 50s, 1 male 50s, 1 male 60s, 2 females 70s, 1 male 80s, 1 female 90s
• Kankakee County: 1 female 80s
• Lake County: 1 female 40s, 1 male 80s, 2 females 90s
• McHenry County: 1 male 70s
• Rock Island County: 1 female 80s
• St. Clair County: 1 female 90s
• Will County: 1 male 80s
• Winnebago County: 1 male 50s, 1 male 60s, 1 female 70s, 1 female 80s, 1 male 90s
Currently, IDPH is reporting a total of 125,915 cases, including 5,795 deaths, in 101 counties in Illinois.
- Dog mauls toddler to death at Fourth of July party
- Johnny Depp sues tabloid newspaper for article calling him a “wife beater”
- Estep’s blast lifts Rivets to their third straight win
- Fighting fires in heat adds extra dangers for area first responders
- Future ‘Rockton Street Market’ liquor license to only include beer and wine