LAS VEGAS (KLAS) — Scientists in Hungary have created a Frankenfish by mistake. The accident led to the creation of new species: A mix of Russian sturgeon and American paddlefish.
Russian sturgeon fish are the source of some of the finest caviar in the world, so the scientists were trying to get the endangered sturgeon to reproduce asexually.
They wanted to use paddlefish sperm in the process, but without transferring its DNA to the sturgeon. However, the paddlefish’s DNA still went through, and the new species of fish was born.
Its name hasn’t been chosen, but one nickname that came up so far is “Struddlefish.”
The research has been published in the journal “Genes.”
- Family says social media challenge led to death of 9-year-old Tennessee boy
- Dog earns 6M followers while learning to communicate with humans
- Emergency C-section causes cut to baby’s face
- Affidavit reveals one-year-old weighed 8 pounds at time of death, Texas parents arrested
- Motivational speaker breaks naked-skydiving record to bring awareness to mental health, suicide prevention