CHONGQING (WTVO) — A Chinese theme park has sparked outrage after workers pushed a pig off a 223-foot platform and forced it to bungee jump. The incident was part of a publicity stunt to promote a new attraction.
Video, taken at the Meixin Red Wine Town theme park, shows the pig wearing a cape and being pushed off the tower. It’s legs are shown to be tied during the event.
Local media outlets reported that the pig was sent to a slaughterhouse afterwards.
The stunt caused an uproar from animal activists.
PETA said said the incident was “animal cruelty at its worst,” according to BBC News.
“Pigs experience pain and fear in the same ways that we do, and this disgusting PR stunt should be illegal,” said Jason Baker, Peta senior vice-president of international campaigns.
Animal cruelty is not punishable by law in China.
- Biles tries to lead Team USA to third consecutive gold medal
- Crash, possible shooting at N. Church and Whitman in Rockford, police say
- Social media not as toxic as we think: Most posts ‘support’ causes rather than ‘oppose’ them, study finds
- Pfizer and Moderna to expand vaccine trials in children ages 5-11 at FDA request, report says
- Department of Veterans Affairs requires COVID-19 vaccination for health care workers