CHONGQING (WTVO) — A Chinese theme park has sparked outrage after workers pushed a pig off a 223-foot platform and forced it to bungee jump. The incident was part of a publicity stunt to promote a new attraction.
Video, taken at the Meixin Red Wine Town theme park, shows the pig wearing a cape and being pushed off the tower. It’s legs are shown to be tied during the event.
Local media outlets reported that the pig was sent to a slaughterhouse afterwards.
The stunt caused an uproar from animal activists.
PETA said said the incident was “animal cruelty at its worst,” according to BBC News.
“Pigs experience pain and fear in the same ways that we do, and this disgusting PR stunt should be illegal,” said Jason Baker, Peta senior vice-president of international campaigns.
Animal cruelty is not punishable by law in China.
- See the United Center floor fill up with non-perishable food for the COVID-19 response
- Coronavirus Illinois: Large summer events may be canceled to stop spread of COVID-19, Pritzker says
- Lowe’s will close stores Easter Sunday to give employees ‘much-deserved day off’
- Disney shares Dole Whip, other recipes while parks closed
- Family of Chicago 911 call center employee mourning after he died from COVID-19