ROCKFORD, Ill. (WTVO) — 19-year-old Anthony Jenkins was sentenced to 27 years in prison Friday for the murder of 12-year-old Donavan Ruland in 2017.
On May 24th, 2017, Jenkins shot Ruland dead while trying to steal Ruland’s ATV.
Police found Ruland suffering from a gunshot wound in the area of 4th Street and 16th Avenue. He died at the hospital.
Although he was 16 at the time, Jenkins was tried as an adult.
After the sentencing, Jenkins’ attorney asked the judge to reconsider the length of the sentence. The judge agreed, and a new hearing has been set for September 9th.
The initial 27-year sentence remains in place until then.
- Rockford man arrested on murder charges stemming from May deadly shooting
- Rockford crews respond quickly after trailer fire near Sandy Hollow Road
- Salt Life co-founder arrested after teen found dead in hotel room
- US shatters daily COVID record with nearly 100,000 new cases
- Original James Bond actor Sean Connery dies at 90