ROCKFORD, Ill. (WTVO) — During the last month, teachers, parents, students and colleagues submitted 587 teachers for nomination for the 2020 Golden Apple Teacher Award.
A full list of nominees can be found at goldenappleofrockford.com.
A reception for the nominees will be held at 4:30 p.m. Tuesday, Nov. 19, at Rockford University, at 5050 E. State St., Rockford.
The nomination is the first stage of a search for teachers who represent excellence in secondary school teaching in Winnebago and Boone counties. The next step is for teachers to respond to their nominations with self-reflective essays and letters of recommendation. Nominees must have five years of teaching experience and be teaching full time in a PreK – 5th grade classroom. A selection committee will complete a review of the teachers’ professional portfolios and choose 20 teachers to continue in the process of classroom observations and interviews, which are conducted by community volunteers.
Five teachers will be selected to receive the Golden Apple Award, which includes a cash reward, a professional development stipend, and a Rockford University scholarship.
- Huskies Upended by SIU Edwardsville
- No. 5 Illini fall in early season top-five matchup with No. 2 Baylor
- Frosty Wednesday morning, Toasty Wednesday afternoon
- California sheriff who refused to enforce COVID-19 order tests positive for virus
- Community mourns beloved businessman Tony Artale after losing battle with COVID-19