ROCKFORD, Ill. (WTVO)– A wrecking crew started the morning demolition of the long abandoned former Magna grocery store on Thursday, April 30.
The store, owned by City Hall, was located on Rockford on East State Street.
This comes after crews tore down a condemned strip mall next to the store three days ago.
Last Spring, the City of Rockford sued the owner, demanding they either fix, demolish or redevelop the property.
A judge allowed the City to go ahead with the demolition.
Rockford will now try to force the owner to reimburse the City for the work.
- Exploring the rich athletics history of Beloit College as it marks 100 years in the MWC
- Fourth grader in New Mexico forced to walk to school for internet
- New report says Byron power plant shutdown would cost over 2,300 jobs
- Rockford applying for new bike path grant, but not all residents are on board
- Russia and Iran made ‘desperate attempts’ to interfere with election, US officials say