ROCKFORD, Ill. (WTVO) — The American Legion in Rockton hosted a “9/11: Never Forget Tribute” on Wednesday, as local lawmakers and first responders reflected on the impact of the 18th anniversary.
Brenda Brugger, one of the organizers, has a son who was in Marine boot camp on 9/11. Her daughter joined the National Guard shortly after. Both were sent to fight in Iraq.
Brugger shared her memory of her son returning home from war, an experience that parents around the country had to endure.
“All these Marines get of in their desert [camouflage], every one of them look just alike, and then you finally see your own, and you get to wrap your arms around him and you get to hold him tight. He’s home safe. There’s nothing to describe that feeling,” she said.
This was the third year for the tribute. The American Legion is located at 221 W Main Street.
- Trump signals he’s prepared to give farmers more federal aid
- Costco to ban non-members from food court
- Inmate dubbed the ‘Starved Rock Killer’ freed after 59 years
- New mother rushes into fire, saves driver from tanker explosion in Indianapolis
- Wisconsin nurse sentenced to 13 years in prison for abusing nine infants, leaving them with broken ribs, legs