BYRON, Ill. (WTVO) — The Northwestern Illinois Building and Construction Trades Council announced its opposition to the closure of the Byron Generating Station on Friday.
The station’s closure, which was announced in August, is set to happen in September 2021.
Labor leaders, community members, and a bipartisan group of Illinois legislators have all spoken out to help save the nuclear plant.
The closure would mean hundreds of millions of dollars of lost revenue in the region.
- IceHogs ready to speed into their season while navigating COVID protocols
- Kenny Strawbridge’s heroic hoop leads to conference award
- Pot taxes to fund violence prevention, prisoner re-entry programs
- Pregnant women should not take Moderna vaccine, WHO advises
- One month after Don Carter Lanes shooting, 14-year-old survivor hopes to use his story to help others