Cedarville bar shooter Devin Marcum sentenced to life in prison

Local News

FREEPORT, Ill. (WTVO) — Devin Marcum, 23, has been sentenced to life in prison for shooting and killing two men outside the Cedar Inn in February.

Marcum was convicted of First Degree Murder in the shooting deaths of Kyle Tucker and Shaun Bradbury.

According to the Stephenson County Sheriff, Marcum shot and killed Kyle Tucker and Shaun Bradbury, and wounded Michael Steinhauser.

Marcum’s defense team said he acted in self defense or defense of others.

Marcum tearfully read from a statement in court, saying “I genuinely apologize, gravely and sincerely,” stating that he had “hit rock bottom” in an effort to protect his sisters and claimed he “wasn’t the aggressor” in the situation.

Marcum claimed the “person” who he was “attacked by is walking free,” referencing victim Steinhauser.

He said that he’s “now seeing the true extent this action has taken,” and that he is in a “deep place” and “can’t forgive himself.”

Kyle Tucker’s mother, Sharie Hoster, said, “Our family will never forgive him for this. Never. What he did is unimaginable. Unthinkable. Unprovoked. It was senseless.”

Krista Tucker, Kyle’s sister, said, “I don’t feel sorry for the loss of Devin’s family and losing him as a child. He made his choice. He should have to deal with it.”

At the sentencing, Marcum’s mother blamed herself for making him a father figure as a teen. The defense attorney read a statement from the mother of Marcum’s two-year-old daughter, begging the judge for leniency.

“The sentence the judged ordered is a sentence that will ensure the defendant never commits a crime like this ever again,” said prosecutor Carl Larson.

“It helps knowing he would never be on the streets ever but like I said, we’d rather just have our loved one back but we are glad we never have to see his face again,” Hoster said.

At Marcum’s trial in August, witnesses at the Cedar Inn said Marcum was fighting with 35-year-old Steinhauser. During the altercation, Marcum drew a gun.

Witnesses testified that 35-year-old Tucker tried to intervene, in attempt to get Marcum to put down the gun, at which point Marcum opened fire.

When Stephenson County Sheriff’s deputies arrived to the Inn, Tucker was found dead at the scene, suffering from a gunshot wound to the head.

Bradbury, 36, was rushed to Mercyhealth in Rockford where he died. 

Freeport Memorial hospital treated Steinhauser, who survived a shot in the neck. 

Police say they began a quick search for the suspect and located Marcum, who police say was in possession of a handgun that matched the caliber of the weapon used in the shooting.

Marcum was charged with the murders of Tucker and Bradbury and the attempted murder of Steinhauser.

A jury found Marcum guilty of all charges against him in the slayings, including three counts of First Degree Murder, two counts of Strong Probability to Commit Murder or Injury, one count of Attempted Murder, one count of Aggravated Battery, Discharge of a Firearm, Aggravated Discharge of a Firearm in a Building, and Possession of a Firearm by a Felon.


For more local news, download the MyStateline app (iOS) or (Android).

Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram!

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Latest News Video

Trending Stories