ROCKFORD, Ill. (WTVO) — The Winnebago County Coroner has identified 52-year-old Herman Bowser as the man killed in an alleged car-to-car gun battle near Brown Avenue and Church Street on New Years Day.
Authorities said they received calls about two cars were chasing each other and exchanging gunfire around 6:30 a.m. When police arrived on-scene, they found Bowser in the road outside of a crashed vehicle.
He was taken to the hospital where he died from a gunshot wound.
Rockford Police say the shooting is under investigation.
Anyone with information is asked to contact the Rockford Police Department at 815-966-2900 or leave an anonymous tip with Rockford Area Crime Stoppers at 815-963-7867.
- In Olympic first, men, women swim together in wild medley
- Jamaica’s Elaine Thompson-Herah breaks Flo-Jo’s 33-year record at Tokyo Olympics
- ‘For me, the war is over’: Veteran meets daughter he left behind in Vietnam 50 years ago
- Mississippi man encourages others to get vaccinated after losing leg to COVID-19
- Unassuming home selling with entire ‘authentic 1800s Western town’ in backyard