ROCKFORD, Ill. (WTVO) — The Winnebago County Coroner has identified 52-year-old Herman Bowser as the man killed in an alleged car-to-car gun battle near Brown Avenue and Church Street on New Years Day.
Authorities said they received calls about two cars were chasing each other and exchanging gunfire around 6:30 a.m. When police arrived on-scene, they found Bowser in the road outside of a crashed vehicle.
He was taken to the hospital where he died from a gunshot wound.
Rockford Police say the shooting is under investigation.
Anyone with information is asked to contact the Rockford Police Department at 815-966-2900 or leave an anonymous tip with Rockford Area Crime Stoppers at 815-963-7867.
- Rockford Housing Authority temporarily closes offices after employee tests positive
- Rodgers leads Packers into title game with 32-18 win vs Rams
- ‘If it wasn’t my job I would have done that for free’: Officer after surviving Capitol mob assault
- Watch: Two officers push unconscious teen driver to safety in ‘miracle’ rescue
- Iowa teen returns home after Christmas Eve heart transplant