ROCKFORD, Ill. (WTVO) — Since Halloween is over, it’s time to get rid of those pumpkins.
The Discovery Center made it easy with their annual smashing pumpkin event.
They brought out their hand made 400-pound giant catapult to launch pumpkins high into their air to be demolished when it landed.
About 150 pumpkins were smashed, Sunday.
Organizers say this method of getting rid of those jack-o-lanterns comes full circle for pumpkins.
“The pumpkins go full circle. They come from the farm, people buy them and carve them. They come to the discovery center,” said Discovery Museum Associate Director, Mike Rathbum. “We launch them. And then a farmer comes and picks them up and feeds them to their sheep.”
He also recommends composting the pumpkins in your backyard as another environmentally safe way to get rid of your pumpkins.
- Rockford Housing Authority temporarily closes offices after employee tests positive
- Rodgers leads Packers into title game with 32-18 win vs Rams
- ‘If it wasn’t my job I would have done that for free’: Officer after surviving Capitol mob assault
- Watch: Two officers push unconscious teen driver to safety in ‘miracle’ rescue
- Iowa teen returns home after Christmas Eve heart transplant