ROCKFORD, Ill. (WTVO) — An international country star will soon be giving back to kids in the Stateline.
Dolly Parton’s ‘Imagination Library’ book gifting program is expanding services to Winnebago and Ogle counties.
The program sends books to readers 5 years old and under. United Way of Rock River Valley is raising money to bring the library here.
Organizers say reading is essential to the developing brain.
“We know that there’s something different about holding a book, looking at the pictures, understanding the way that the language goes, understanding how to turn pages. So, it’s really important for children’s development and reading skills to have books in their hands,” said Rock River Valley VP Linda Sandquist.
The organization has delivered books to over 2 million readers worldwide.
Click here for more details.
- IceHogs ready to speed into their season while navigating COVID protocols
- Kenny Strawbridge’s heroic hoop leads to conference award
- Pot taxes to fund violence prevention, prisoner re-entry programs
- Pregnant women should not take Moderna vaccine, WHO advises
- One month after Don Carter Lanes shooting, 14-year-old survivor hopes to use his story to help others