ROCKFORD, Ill. (WTVO) — Local celebrities poured happy hour drinks for a good cause.
Onyx Bar hosted the final ‘Down with the 815’ fundraising event for Gigi’s Playhouse.
Gigi’s Playhouse offers people with down syndrome free educational and career development programs.
Residents may have noticed those making the drinks.
Your Home Team’s Whitney Martin was slinging drinks at the event.
Gigi’s is free for families who use their services, and there’s no age limit for participants.
Executive Director, Karen Carlson, says Gigi’s does more than give life skills, it also gives people with down syndrome hope.
“Historically, individuals with down syndrome didn’t really have that sense of hope,” Carlson said. “So for us, it’s great to know that when families walk in the door they know that there’s hope for their child to achieve to fit in, to belong.”
Throughout October nearly two dozen local businesses participated in the ‘Down with the 815.’
Carlson estimated before Wednesday night’s event, they had raised between $10,000 and 15,000.
- Blocking pattern keeps the first week of December mostly dry and warmer than normal
- Roscoe police respond to 4 car accident, one driver arrested on DUI suspicion
- Justice Department investigating ‘bribery-for-pardon scheme’
- Congress scrambles to avoid government shutdown
- Rockford City Council passes ‘Capital Improvement Plan’