ROCKFORD, Ill. (WTVO) — A veterans organization donated clothing to former members of the military on Friday.
“Top of Illinois Veterans Stand Down” held a walk-thru event at the VFW on 7th Street in Rockford this afternoon.
Needy and homeless U.S. veterans were given shirts, briefs, socks, coats, hats, gloves and sweatshirts.
Each vet also received a boxed lunch as well.
Organizers said the annual event had to go on, despite the COVID-19 pandemic.
“Never forget out veterans. We can never do that,” said Top of Illinois Veterans Stand Down President Ron Sodko. “As a country, as an organization, as us. It was a lot of talk [at] our meetings, of are we going to pursue this event again this year? And we decided yes we can’t forget our vets.”
Rockford Mass Transit District provided free rides for veterans.
- Keep the mask: A vaccine won’t end the US crisis right away
- 10-year-old Louisiana boy sets up hot cocoa stand for nonprofit
- Viral Arkansas police officer on a mission to make a difference
- FDA authorizes first at-home coronavirus test
- Women detained for speaking Spanish in Montana store settle lawsuit with U.S. border agency