ROCKFORD, Ill. (WTVO) — A report from CBS News listed Rockford as one of the deadliest cities in the United States.
Rockford came in as the 29th-deadliest city in the country, with a murder rate of 15.7 per 100,000 residents in 2018. Meanwhile, Chicago was ranked at 16, with the murder rate at 20.7 per 100,000.
The rankings examined last year’s murder rates in 65 major cities, with over 100,000 residents, across the country.
An estimated 16,214 people were murdered in the U.S. in 2018. This was a 6.2% decrease from the 2017 estimate. The ratings were calculated using the FBI’s 2018 Crime in the United States data.
Pittsburgh, Indianapolis, Dallas, and Atlanta were ranked lower than Peoria. The highest-ranked city was St. Louis, with a murder rate of 60.9 per 100,000.
The only other Illinois city was Peoria, with ranked 18th, with a murder rate of 19.5 per 100,000.
- One man dead, one in critical condition after overnight crash in Beloit
- GOP senator to introduce bill reimbursing parents $800 for remote learning expenses
- CDC issues Halloween 2020 guidelines, color-coded coronavirus risk map
- Can a Supreme Court vacancy be filled during election year?
- ‘Glory Days’: East 1974 State Champions