BELVIDERE, Ill. (WTVO) — 39-year-old Leonard Spates, a former Winnebago County corrections officer, has been charged with domestic battery for allegedly beating a juvenile family member with an extension cord.
According to court documents, on January 24th and February 11th, Spates, who lives in Poplar Grove, hit the child several times in the legs with the cord.
He was charged on February 12th.
Records show Spates was employed by the Winnebago County Sheriff’s Office in fiscal year 2019, and officials there confirm he is not currently employed at the jail.
- Temperatures take a little dip heading into the weekend
- Winnebago County Sheriff welcomes first-ever female Deputy Chief
- Machesney Park flag ceremony honors family of US Army pilot killed in Black Hawk crash
- Oregon students return to class after 2 week shutdown
- Beloit College pushes back start date for Spring semester