ROCKFORD, Ill. (WTVO) — Gander Outdoors is closing its Rockford and Janesville locations, approximately one year after taking over for Gander Mountain, which went bankrupt in 2017.
The Rockford store, at 3068 McFarland Road, re-opened on June 7th, 2018.
According to an employee, the Janesville location, at 2900 Deerfield Dr #180, is also set to close.
Gander Outdoors sells hunting, fishing, hiking and outdoor sports gear.
According to Crain’s Chicago Business, Camping World, which owns Gander Outdoors, is closing 27 to 37 stores in order to re-purpose its operation towards RV sales.
“We believe the sale and/or servicing of recreational vehicles is our core and most important offering and, with the RV and outdoor consumer crossover, we believe there is an opportunity to continue growing our market share and improve our financial performance through the operation of locations with RV sales and/or service and, when feasible, our hunting, fishing and camping products,” CEO Marcus Lemonis said in a statement. “We will continue to operate our RV sales and/or service locations under three banners: Camping World, Gander RV and Outdoors, and Gander RV.”
In anticipation of its closing, everything in the store is marked down 40 percent off, with the exception of guns, ammunition and generators.
- Illinois Legislative Black Caucus in Rockford, urge peaceful protests
- Curran’s Orchard opening early after turned away from Rockford City Market
- Rockford City Market reopens after COVID-19 closure
- Two kayakers rescued from Rock River in Oregon
- OSF HealthCare nurse under fire, people saying she made an insensitive comment on Facebook about protestors