LOVES PARK, Ill. (WTVO) — All weekend, ahead of Veterans Day, the stateline will be honoring local veterans.
Each year, the Harlem School District teams up with the City of Loves Park and the Rockford Park District to host an annual Tribute to Veterans celebration at the Field of Honor Veterans Memorial, at 100 Heart Boulevard.
This year’s ceremony was held from 10 a.m. to 11 a.m. today.
John Beck, of the Rockford Park District, says the tribute helps to keep the meaning of Veterans Day alive for younger generations.
“We have a lot of privileges and conveniences and so, if you don’t experience learning about what it means for us to have what we have, then you may start to lost the importance of it,” he said.
This year, the keynote speaker was U.S. Army Veteran Charles Larson, who grew up in Cherry Valley and served in the Vietnam War.
Following the ceremony, Harlem students performed Taps and Echo, followed by a three-shot rifle volley by the Clifford E. Johnson VFW Post 9759.
- 20-year-old male transported to hospital after being shot Tuesday night
- Locally Dense Fog Developing Tuesday Evening
- Midweek Warm-Up Comes with Heavy Rainfall
- Local students are able to see if they have what it takes to protect and serve
- Belvidere has a piece of community history back in town